If you are nervous about snorkeling for the first time here are some easy steps to follow:
1. Fit your mask to your face before you get to the water. Fitting your mask, fins and entering the water at the same time can be overwhelming for your first experience.
2. Walk into shallow water so you can put on your fins. Sit down for this.
3. With your mask and fins on, walk until the water is at least waist level.
4. Bend at the waist and look into the water with your mask and snorkel. Give yourself time at this point to get used to breathing through your mouth.
5. Float with your gear on and give yourself time to breathe and become comfortable with your gear.
6. Start to look for fish and coral while swimming slowly.
7. Take long deep calming breaths and relax.
8. Have fun!
At Hawaii Outdoor Guides Snorkeling for the first time was an eye opening experience and we can’t wait to share that experience with you!